[linux-dvb] Re: video4linux and dvb-kernel conflicts

Hi,

I did something else. I took the latest video4linux snapshot(as it is
quite new) and compiled my kernel(www.kernel.org 2.6.9) with just basic
video4linux support.
In my dvb-kernel cvs directory i did a cvs update -r FE_REFACTORING to
get the refactoring branch. Now i used makelinks in the dvb-kernel
directory to setup my kernel and compiled my kernel with the appropiate
modules. After that i installed the kernel and did in the video4linux
directory a make DVB=1 KDIR=/path/to/kernel
copying the resulting modules into my kernel modules directory and a
depmod -a did the rest(When using hotplug).

But i must say that i am not really sure whether it works right now
There is a registered dvb frontend with no errors but i have a tuning
problem and i do not know if it is bad as I have no DVB-T here yet(In
two weeks we'll get it here).

Perhaps this helps...
Sebastian
Am Sa, den 23.10.2004 schrieb Roger James um 21:53:
> Help J
>

> I am trying to build up to date linux dvb drivers against the 2.6.9
> kernel. This is in order to get a new (conexant) Nova-T card working.
> I have been going round in circles trying to get the video4linux and
> dvb-kernel sources to match up.
>

> The last try I made was as follows.
>

> Get a clean 2.6.9 source from kernel.org.
>

> Apply the video4linux kernel a patches from
> http://dl.bytesex.org/patches/2.6.9-rc4-1/All-2.6.9-rc4.diff.gz. As
> there aren’t any patches for the for the 2.6.9 release yet I apply
> these rc4 patches using –p1. This appears to work with no errors.
>

> If I now go to dvb-kernel cvs checkout directory and diff all the .c
> and .h files under the linux subdirectory I get a number of
> differences between these files and the ones in the kernel tree. This
> I would expect if the dvb-kernel files from CVS are more recent.
>

> However, the very first file that fails is as follows.
>

> 365c365
>
> <                       return videobuf_poll_stream(file, &fh->vbi_q,
> wait);
>
> ---
>
> >                       return videobuf_poll_stream(file,
> file->private_data, &fh->vbi_q, wait);
>
> ./drivers/media/common/saa7146_hlp.c
>

> This worries me as it shows that this file is not up to date with the
> kernel tree. The whole diff file is about 34k, so there are a lot of
> diffs!
>

> Which probably explains why if I go ahead and run makelinks in the
> dvb-kernel directory I can no longer build a kernel.
>

> Sow how do I decide which versions of the files to use, and which way
> to merge the differences?
>

> I gather that this might have some bearing on the refactoring
> discussions that have been going on!
>

> Help!!!
>

> Roger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index