[linux-dvb] Current DVB and V4L status == utter confusion - please will someoneexplain!

Hi,

I used to have a working Mythbox with a working Aver 771 DVB-T card. It took me a lot of reading in the v4l and dvb lists and many "happy" hours fiddling to get the DVB-T working, but I got there in the end.

Unfortunately I stupidly blew my system away and have now rebuilt it using kernel 2.6.9.

I have not been able to get my Aver771 working again. The way I installed the modules before no longer works, Obviously I have tried to find the current way. I have struggled for days to get kernel and CVS v4l and dvb modules to work together. I find from the lists that I am one of many people who are struggling at this time.

This should tell you that all is not well with the documentation.

I cannot find an obvious current README in either the v4l or dvb-kernel CVS packages,

I realise that the CVS is for developers, and us users are a pain, but the problem is that the current high rate of change with the hardware and software means that the released packages are obsolete and CVS is the only option available to get a working card.

I am NOT a video developer, and so only look at the v4l and dvb lists when I have to. Someone who reads the lists every day, may not realise the impact to a casual reader of trying to get up to speed in one go! I have read a number of threads in both lists regarding current installation, and I am well confused. There is also no search facility to the v4l list which makes it harder to find pertinent posts, (I wish people would use a relevant subject in their posts, I have to read all the messages, since my last install).

Please could someone take a few minutes to write a simple explanation and post here and on the v4l lists? :-

1. what is happening to V4l and dvb ---- for example, what is the refactoring branch? what's with this DVB=1? (When I last compiled dvb there was a qualifier BTTV=1)

2. What is the current way to build and install modules, inside and outside the 2.6 kernel - brief one liners!

Is it possible for the developers to produce some current documentation in the snapshots regarding this that can be found easily?

If this has already been done then please point me at it. (If it was obvious then I will also apologise for not finding it!)

Thanks in advance

regards

Patrick

Home | Main Index | Thread Index