[linux-dvb] Software Implementation of /video and /audio

Hi,

I've got my NovaT card working, and found that the /dev/dvb/adapter0/video0 and /dev/dvb/adapter0/audio0 don't really exist unless I have hardware support in my DVB card.

This suggests that if I want to write an application, I can't use the /video and /audio devices as anyone who is using a budget card (like a NovaT) will get a run time error.

Since the /video and /audio interfaces are actually quite nice, and provide a significant gain if a hardware MPEG decoder is present, has anyone made a software implementation of the /video and /audio devices? Since this API seems to be aimed at the embedded market (for STBs) aswell as PCs, it seems like a software implementation would be useful to allow STB applications to be developed on cheap desktop PCs with a budget DVB card?

What do you think?

Chris