[linux-dvb] Re: Sony VAIO A190 USB TV Tuner Card

Stephan Richter wrote:

Hello everyone,

before I even ask my question I should mention that I have no idea how TV tuners in computers--leave alone in combination with Linux--work.
However, I just bought myself the very awesome Sony VAIO VGN-A190 laptop that comes with a docking station that provides a TV tuner. I ahve already found out that this TV tuner works via USB 2.0. Now, is there any chance to get this type of hardware working? I am willing to put some time into this, but I would need some guidance where to start and how to procede.

as usual it may be a little tricky and take some time to do the reverse engineering: you'll probably need to sniff the USB traffic using e.g. a tool like usbsnoop (http://usbsnoop.sourceforge.net/), maybe disassemble and analyze the windows to find out what has to be done to talk with the hardware. Basically the same had been done for most USB TV/DVB drivers without open docs.

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index