[linux-dvb] Re: Rename budget drivers?

Hi,

On 11.11.2004 09:09, Oliver Endriss wrote:
On Mittwoch, 10. November 2004 17:32, Andrew de Quincey wrote:

Should we sort out the name of the budget drivers once and for all?

Nay!  ;)

Renaming the drivers should be delayed until kernel 2.7.x or API-4.

The 2.6.x kernel series is not a developer kernel, but a stable series.
The core kernel developers have agreed on a "new development model" on the OLS in Ottawa this year.

There has been a really tight discussion about this "new development model" on the Linux Kernel mailinglist. Short story is that 2.7 isn't planned for the moment and that even crucial changes will go into 2.6 instead, possibly first through the -mm kernels.

http://lwn.net/Articles/95312/

So we should avoid any changes which break backward compatibility unless
they are really required.
If we come to a solution that everybode can live with, IMO we should do the change as quickly as possible. There are lot of examples from the past where compatibilty has been broken before and people have adopted to the new situation quickly.

CU
Oliver
CU
Michael.