[linux-dvb] Scanning satellite for programs?

Hello!

I can't get the Amos satellite (LNB connected to the 5/6/7/8 inputs of
a 9-input diseqc switch) working.  The problem is that I can't find
channel informations for this satellite.  Unfortunately (if I understand
correctly), the scan utility requires at least one channel to be known.

I can scan for the astra channels (connected to 1/2/3/4 inputs of the
diseqc) with this command:

    scan -t 1 -s 1 util/scan/dvb-s/Astra-19.2E

But for Amos, no "initial" config exist.  The question is how to find
the missing information.

To get a better understanding of the problem, I have some questions:

1.) Is the "LNB-type" (that is, LO/HI-offsets and switch frequency)
    dependent _only_ on the LNB?  Thus, having identical LNB's for Astra
    and Amos, I can use default LNB-type (UNIVERSAL)?

2.) My assumption is that the scan-utility (after tuning to the initial
    transponder) reads information about other transponders from this
    transponder.  Where can I find information how this is encoded?

3.) A nice-to-have would be that the scan-utility would try to find the
    "initial" transponder by itself.  Obviously, if this would be easy,
    it would already have been done ;-).  But somehow I'm failing to
    understand the problem.  Why is it that difficult to succesively
    try all possible frequencies until finding a valid signal?

4.) Why is the symbol-rate specification needed to tune to a transponder?

Thanks in advance to every one who can help to get some light into the
darkness ;)

--
Please visit and sign and http://www.ffii.org
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --