[linux-dvb] Re: cinergyT2: which kernel/usb module to use?

Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> >Which VDR? vdr-1.3.17 goes into an endless loop due to the
> >broken FE_GET_EVENT implementation.
>
> :) the race we have been talking about.

There is no race.

> I would hesistate to implement a workaround limiting the number of
> events (e.g. by a synchronous counter incremented by the wakeup(poll_wq)
> call and decremented in the ioctl()) since this would just hide
> application bugs in the future, too and introduce new workarounds in
> every new driver exposing the same behaviour.

Look, it seems you don't like the API. Fine. But I kindly
ask you to play by the rules and implement the same API
as the other drivers do. The reason is simple: Interoperability.

You don't like how VDR uses the API and want VDR to be changed
so it works with your driver? And what about mplayer, xine,
kaxtv, mythtv, dvbstream and whatever is out there?

I have no problems if you start dvb-kernel-v5 and implement
your dream API, but your driver only has a right to be
included in dvb-kernel if it maintains API compatibility
with the other drivers in dvb-kernel. Period.

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index