[linux-dvb] Re: cinergyT2: which kernel/usb module to use?

John Dalgliesh wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

From an application programmer's view it really would be great if the driver
gurus could agree on a reference implementation of how exactly tuning
and waiting for a lock is supposed to be done...

I must be missing something here, but where is it useful to wait for lock
anyway - what's wrong with just waiting for some data to come through? I'm
not having much luck imagining an application where the demod's internal
idea of lock is any use waiting for, over just waiting for the actual
data that you want to get out to arrive.
Well, that's what VDR originally did.
But then there was this never ending series of problems with "unknown
picture types" and "video data stream broken", and the general belief was
that filters should only be set when a device has a stable lock.
So now VDR waits for a lock before setting filters.

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index