[linux-dvb] Re: Hauppauge WinTV Nova-S SE ----> Unknown device 1016

On Wednesday 01 Dec 2004 08:10, Lucian Muresan wrote:
> Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> >>Can you send me the complete output of "lspci -v -n" for that card
> >> please?
> >>
> >>Also, I'll need the markings on the tin box on the card. I'll also need
> >> to know the demodulator chip onboard - I dunno what is easiest for you -
> >> either a list of the chips on the card, or hi res photos of the card so
> >> I can read the chip numbers.
> >>
> >>I'm not promising anything, but its likely it just needs an entry added
> >> in for it.
> >
> > Thanks for the info Lucian.
>
> I thank _you_, Andrew.
>
> > I found a description of the card in TT's BDA windows drivers.
> >
> > Supposedly it is a:
> > TechnoTrend DVB-S: Samsung DVB-S NIM / (S5H1420/PN1010)
> >
> > As far as I can see, the S5H1420 and PN1010 are both demodulator chips -
> > so it must be two different revisions of the tinbox. As to which yours
> > contains, I do not know. You'd have to open up the tin box to see what is
> > present. Neither of them is supported right now :(
> >
> > I'm also not sure what tinbox it is. The picture you sent me had
> > "DNBU17112IPS(T)  040929  AAAATR" on it (included so others can see). I
> > tried searching about, but couldn't find anything. Mind you,
> > manufacturers seem to be awfully coy about their tuners for some reason.
> >
> > Here is programming info on the Samsung S5H1420 Demodulator if someone
> > wants to have a look:
> >
> > http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/SystemLSI/DigitalMedia/D_n_
> >VASSP/D_TV_DigitalTV/S5H1420/S5H1420.htm
> >
> > If its using the PN1010, I cannot find any info about this, beyond a
> > brief product description at:
> >
> > http://www.pnpnetwork.com/english_home/product1_1.html
>
> So, would there be a chance that we get this working, or should I just
> return the card back to the store (whithin the 2 weeks they give you
> this right in Germany, to return products without a reason), BTW, my 2
> weeks will end in few days...?
> If there are chances to make it work if I'd open the tin box around the
> tuner, I'd do it. I also have to be guided what I can do to try to
> include support for the demodulator chip (I'm a c++ programmer, but
> mainly experienced under the evil OS at work, my linux and first of all
> kernel module pragramming experience is near to zero, but as I said,
> given proper hints I'd try to do my best). I'm imagining some other code
> could be adapted according to the spec of the Samsung S5H1420
> Demodulator (if that's the one), or am I wrong and should rather return
> the card quickly?

Obviously it would be good to support the card; however, if you're looking to
actually _use_ the card in the near future, I'd say return it quickly. If it
is using the PN1010, I can't can say when it would be supported - if the docs
are unavailable, it would be a matter of taking the windows drivers apart,
which could take a while.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index