[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-kernel crasher

On Saturday 25 Dec 2004 20:49, Olaf Titz wrote:
> This crash has been there for months, going from Linux 2.6.something
> to 2.6.9 now and several updates from current dvb-kernel CVS.
> It happens in the following situation:
> I'm running VDR under a daemon which tries to handle some error
> situations by restarting VDR (see
> <URL:http://sites.inka.de/~bigred/sw/vdr.html>). I also run xawtv on
> the /dev/video device of the first DVB card (Nexus-S). The system also
> has a Nova-S (budget-ci), both using stv0299 frontend.
>
> Either VDR dies by itself or I kill it, then the daemon tries to
> unload and re-load the DVB drivers and restart VDR, and then the
> following happens:

Thanks for sending me your module.

Does this crash happen every time you reload the modules, or does it happen
after a number of reloads?

There appears to be a memory leak in the av7110 code somewhere - Thomas Sailer
sent me a new backtrace for his bug (with Frame Pointers enabled in the
kernel). He reloads the modules much as you do I think... after a lot of
reloads, the kmalloc()s in the av7110 intialisation code report ENOMEM, and
everything comes to a crunch.

(the driver code doesn't cope with the ENOMEM failure very well either, but
that is a secondary problem).

Home | Main Index | Thread Index