[linux-dvb] Re: TDA1004x and 2.6.10 kernel fw loading problem

Tomáš Chaloupka wrote:

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 06:39:02AM +0000, Richard Hamnett wrote:

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 13:08:52 +1100, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@cloud.net.au> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 06:45:59PM +0100, Tomá? Chaloupka wrote:

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

Do you have hotplug installed? (It's probably /sbin/hotplug.)
It is needed to pass the file from /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware to the
kernel when the driver requests it.

The new firmware files are dvb-fe-tda10045.fw (and ...6.fw). They are
30K for the 10045 and 24K for the 10046. The old tda1004x.bin (much
bigger) is no longer required but it's ok to leave it in the directory.

Yes I have it installed. Before new kernel it worked just fine.
When I boot the old kernel it also works fine.
The old kernel does not need hotplug to load the DVB firmware.
The driver would read the file directly from /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.
In 2.6.10, the driver uses hotplug to get the firmware instead.

Hi there, I have just had this problem recently, and it was because i
was using udev 0.50 which seems to have a new firmware loading agent.

I have reverted back to udev 0.45 for the time being, and i presume
this will resolve your issue too

Thing is, we need someone with more knowledge than myself to try and
figure out why udev 0.50's new firmware loader isn't working properly

I'm not using udev at all. Just hotplug, whose version number (of the
Debian package) is 0.0.20040329-16. So I guess it's not that new.

Hamish

I don't have udev installed too.
In dmesg output isn't any error at boot time, just when it tryes to load fw when I want to watch something.
I'm using gentoo on x86_64 platform.

Today I booted and hope that I finally solve this problem with your sugestions, so I tryed to create /lib/firmware directory, copyed there the both tda1004x firmwares and tryed to start TV.
And it loads firmware on the first try. When I again deleted this directory to try if it's for sure the solution for me, it looks like it just loads the firmware once so TV loaded fine.
So i tryed to reboot, start TV and it started again. In dmesg output was just:
tda1004x: waiting for firmware upload...
tda1004x: no firmware upload (timeout or file not found?)
tda1004x: firmware upload failed

after TV starts. So I don't get why it starts :)
When I try to restart it for a few times, there was no other messages like this.
There was allways new error messages yesterday when I tryed to do this.

So I thing that even I did not change anything it started to work. Mayby some other boot it'll just stop working again :)

I for sure did not change anything, yesterday i tried to solve this, and when it did not wok I just rebooted to older kernel and watched TV as usual. Then I powerred of my computer. And today it works... I don't understand why :(

Tom

I'm in a state when the boot messages are:
saa7146: found saa7146 @ mem ffffff0000052000 (revision 1, irq 16) (0x13c2,0x1011).
DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T PCI).
adapter has MAC addr = 00:d0:5c:23:34:49
DVB: registering frontend 0 (Philips TDA10045H DVB-T)...

Then when I want to watch TV with mplayer with command:
mplayer dvb://station
I've got no other dmesg output about frontend, last messages from player are:
code taken from dvbstream for mplayer v0.4pre1 - (C) Dave Chapman 2001
Released under the GPL.
Latest version available from http://www.linuxstb.org/
dvb_tune Freq: 506000000

and I can wait and wait ...

I'm sure that the frequency and stations are set right, I'm sure about antene system (watching with old kernel just fine)
Amazing is that sometimes it just starts to work with other reboot without any changes.

Any ideas whats wrong with 2.6.10 kernel?
I'm using 64bit system with Gentoo linux, my latest kernel is 2.6.10-r4.

Thanks for reply
Tom

Home | Main Index | Thread Index