[linux-dvb] Re: good day, newbie questions about linux dvb api for embedded system and MHP

Li Xinyi wrote:
> I am new to the world of DVB, Linux TV/DVB API and this mailing list as
> well. I've been surfing for some time, and it turns out that the Linux
> DVB API so far only works for PCs with DVB PCI card(and dbox2? I am not
> living in EU,so have no idea about this box).

The current Linux DVB API has been used for embedded systems, within
it's limitations and perhaps with some proprietary extensions.

> I've read the Linux DVB API 4 slides. It mentions the Linux DVB API for
> embedded system but without details. What I mean embedded system is STB
> powered by SOC chips, e.g. chips from STM. Is there any kind of plan to
> make Linux DVB API universal for all these kind of embedded platforms
> that has hardware decoders(maybe software decoder eventulaly)? Then a
> consistent interface can be utilised by application level software. If
> it is so, is possible to also build middlewares(MHP for example) upon
> this kind of universal API for linux platform to ease the pain of porting.

I don't know what you mean by "universal". The V4 API tries to be hardware
independent, and we hope that many hardware vendors will support it. It still
needs to evolve a bit, however, as you can see from the CELF slides.

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index