[linux-dvb] Re: Technisat/B2C2 USB Box

On Sunday 06 February 2005 03:32, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> > Additionally I received _very_ detailed information about the
> > flexcopII/III from BBTI, which could make the skystar2-driver easier to
> > read, after a rewrite, if any. I know 'never change a running system', but
> > there is a chance of a really cool code sharing (USB box and PCI card are
> > almost equal) and one could and should invest the time. I would take the
> > current skystar2-code for that, but I'm sorry my brain is too small or I'm
> > too young to keep in mind the bit masks and shifts, it's hard to read...
> >
> > I'm unsure what to do... What is more important: a running system or a
> > easy to read driver? I think a good combination would do the trick...
> > *sigh*
>
> Any work that makes a driver more maintainable is welcome, IMHO.
> But if you change working code you better do it in small steps,
> so when something goes wrong one can trace back where it happened.

IIRC, this is one of the priorities of the kernel.org team(s) as of this moment,
so yes, cleanups is always welcome, it's mostly about how much code gets
replaced against the the fair amount of bugs the user has to take.

(somewhat referring to the '[patches] cx22702 + mt352 updates' thread)

The problem might be that the hardware is moving faster than what linuxtv.org
and linux.bytesex.org can follow. But usually patches for new architechtures
is provided fairly fast.

The split of some dvb features amongst linuxtv.org and bytesex.org is also
a problem, because this only creates confusion amongst users.

Something I was thinking about a long time ago but never dared come out with
was hosting the bytesex.org cvs in the linuxtv.org domain, which actually
makes some sort of sense, at least when a user is probing domains.
This could potientionally also affect the webspace of bytesex.org, with some
clever redirecting.

Offcourse the paragraph above would require convergence.de to completely give
the linuxtv.org domain and any content to public domain if it would cease
to administer it, for whatever reason. The domain would probably best be handed
to Gerd (of bytesex.org) or whoever other maintainer of either video4linux or
dvb is present at it's time. I would suspect that convergence.de has some
market value in keeping the linuxtv.org domain at this present time, but I do
not see this as a problem between the open-source comunity and convergence.de.

Kenneth

Home | Main Index | Thread Index