[linux-dvb] Re: linuxtv.org etc (was: Re: Re: Technisat/B2C2 USB Box)

Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> >Offcourse the paragraph above would require convergence.de to completely
> >give
> >the linuxtv.org domain and any content to public domain if it would cease
> >to administer it, for whatever reason. The domain would probably best be
> >handed
> >to Gerd (of bytesex.org) or whoever other maintainer of either video4linux
> >or
> >dvb is present at it's time. I would suspect that convergence.de has some
> >market value in keeping the linuxtv.org domain at this present time, but I
> >do
> >not see this as a problem between the open-source comunity and
> >convergence.de.
>
> The situation about Convergence is a bit difficult these days:
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/55596? says they are insolvent. It

Yep. However, I cannot comment on this currently, so please don't ask ;-/

> also reads, that the hosted domains and mailing lists are already moved to
> a private web server.

linuxtv.org and directfb.org are hosted on a server which is rented
privately. Convergence sponsored the hosting and traffic costs for a
while, then it was privately financed, and now we found another sponsor
(a small Berlin based company) who agreed to pay the server
costs in exchange for a small "sponsored by" company logo on the
homepage. The content of the new homepages for linuxtv.org and
directfb.org is not copyrighted by convergence, and all source
code is released under GPL or LGPL (or maybe some other OSS license,
I'm not sure about all the stuff on directfb.org like XDirectFB).

So, whatever happens to Convergence will be of no consequence
for the linuxtv project. There's also no need to hand something over
to anyone, as linuxtv.org already *is* an independent open source
community project.

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index