[linux-dvb] we might be losing multicast packets

Hello,

I am using current dvb-kernel v2.4 branch with a dvb/s ff card.  I am
using dvbnet that I found in some apps dir on my hd, no telling how old it
is, but I run dvbnet -p pidnum to get a dvb0_0 and another one for dvb0_1.

The datarate for dvb0_1 is small, like 64k, so I don't see losing packets,
but dvb0_0 is like 7 or 8 megabits per second.

I have a program sched_fifo with mlockall (MCL_CURRENT|MCL_FUTURE) that
reads a packet and writes it to disk in a single thread.  What is the
possability we are losing packets? I'm noticing some sequence gaps, and
when the application wants like 97,000 packets of 1400 bytes or so, a few
hundred somehow wind up missing.

I don't know if it's dropping them a few at a time or in bulk while the
disk runs.  I manually watched about 200 go by in sequence before my eyes
started glazing over.  I skipped to the end of the warnings file and
noticed the missing packets.

Is there any way I can make my driver use the budget routines instead of
the firmware ones? I'd rather my CPU do the work than the one on the arm
if the arm isn't going to work reliably.

Thanks in advance.

_J

Home | Main Index | Thread Index