[linux-dvb] Re: MPE MAC broadcast

The thing is that I do send my IP packets to an MPE MAC broadcast
but I don't receive them, unless I set all my receiving DVB-S stations MAC address
to broadcast.

Clearly this is not what a broadcast address is made for.
A broadcast address is made for being able to bypass the MAC address and filter only on the IP address.
I should not set the MAC address of my DVB card to FF...FF to receive broadcast packets.

Now, I want to know if this behaviour was intentional, and if so, why.

Evan Stergiou
www.fileas.com

I don't know anything about DVB data transmission. But your description
makes perfect sense for Ethernet, for example.

Each station only receives messages which are addressed to its MAC
address, or sent to the broadcast address. If you want to listen to all
traffic, you use promiscuous mode.

It doesn't matter what the IP address is; the MAC function will discard
any packets without the correct MAC address before the IP address is
checked. So packets with your IP address sent to the wrong MAC address
are not useful.

I think you need to either correctly set the MAC address for each packet
you are sending (based on the IP address to which its sending, eg
through ARP) or send all packets to the broadcast address.

Hamish

Home | Main Index | Thread Index