[linux-dvb] Re: tzap status output - what does it all mean?

Rob wrote:
Please excuse the dumb newbie question, but what do the numbers coming out of tzap mean and what should the values be? (snr, ber, unc)

I have a Nova-T with the Conexant chipset. After much messing about with CVS checkouts of dvb-kernel and video4linux, and a 2.6.10 kernel compiled from source (all on Debian unstable, BTW) I have a kernel and a set of modules that seem to work. I can

status ?? | signal 004f | snr ffff | ber 00000000 | unc 00000100 | FE_HAS_LOCK

If I point the aerial 90 degrees away from the transmitter then snr drops a bit from ffff, ber becomes 00001400, and unc remains at 00000100. It looks to me like unc can't go above 0100?
Just my two (euro) cents: I used to have a saa7146-based older Hauppauge
DVB-T card and with that hardware, my vdr plus the femon plugin did show
reasonable resultsof signal quality. With brand new DVB-T cards with
Conexant  chips, my femon plugin shows only one signal bar (instead
of two) which is always at 100%, even if the device has no lock.

It seems to me that either the hardware or the driver does not report
really usable signal quality data or my vdr (vdr-1.3.20, femon 0.8.1)
does not handle the Conexant cards too well.

I bet the driver is somewhat incomplete, and I really hope that the
hardware is able to produce more usable signal quality data. :-o
Can anyone confirm this?

--
-- sjm

Home | Main Index | Thread Index