[linux-dvb] Re: DVB and dual audio

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 03:12:53PM +0100, Wolfgang Wegner wrote:
> Hi Gerd,
>
> sorry, again off-list...

Hmm, why off-list?  Cc'ing the list again, guess the others are
intrested as well, hope you don't mind.

> On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 01:48:58PM +0100, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> > > languages. It plays from the left audio channel the native language
> > > and from right the original language.
> >
> > Uh, thats a pretty strange way to broadcast dual-language ...
>
> indeed, it is.
> However, it is an easy (if not the only) way for cable network operators
> to use standard chipsets if they want to decode both languages at the
> same time... (for retransmission as analog dual-channel)

I'm pretty sure there are other ways, but maybe this way it is cheaper.

arte (german/french) here in Berlin is transmitted the usual dual-lang
way in analog cable, but as program with two audio streams in DVB-T.
As far I know both come from the same (digital) source.

> I do not know if/how it is signalled, at the moment I do not remember
> where I saw it lately.

ivtv+apps have this problem too because thats the only thing the
hardware supports, IIRC they use a bit in the avi header files they wrap
the mpeg data in when recording to flag this dual-language-in-stereo
audio signal.  Well, that approach doesn't work with DVB ...

  Gerd

--
#define printk(args...) fprintf(stderr, ## args)

Home | Main Index | Thread Index