[linux-dvb] Re: What is happening on Astra 11837 h, PID 18?

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 01:44:10AM +0100, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> IIRC either ETR-211 or EN-300-468 state that it is segmented by time,
> i.e. a segment of 16 sections covers three hours. The intention is
> that low-end boxes without enough memory can set the section filters so
> they just filter out the data e.g. for the next day.

While I can see the reason to segment the data, I fail to see why they
leave holes in the list of section.  Why not just send empty sections?

> The repetition rate of the sections can be different, e.g. the data
> for the current and next day can be sent more often than the data for
> the rest of the week.

Hmmm, then it would be bad to wait for all required (that is, modulo the
marked holes) sections of a table to arrive because it can take a long
time?

> You can also process each EIT section independently, there is no need
> to collect all sections before processing.

Oh, I'd prefer to do it the other way around because in general, I don't
like special-handling.  But when some segments are broadcasted more often
tha other, not special-handling the EIT could result in slowing down the
update mechanism :-(.  Is this assumption correct or am I still missing
something?

--
No software patents!
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --