[linux-dvb] Latency issue - user space vs. kernel space.

Has anyone worked out a kernel space equivalent for szap and friends?  I ask
for this reason.

In my hobby shop, I have a verification DVB-S receiver, external.  I'm
clocking a satellite-by-ip news service stream . . . includes binary data and
text data.  The aggregate across six PIDs is 10M/s (6.5MSPS).

In my tests, I notice the latency on frames delivered to be up to 30 seconds
in some instances, using szap . . . as compared to the external box.

In digging down, I find the latency is a factor of user space competition - as
szap is in user space.  I have "nice'd" szap to ultimate priority - and this
helps, but I think the ultimate solution is to have the functionality of
dvbnet/szap in kernel space as opposed to user space.

Stonewall C.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index