[linux-dvb] Re: we might be losing multicast packets

J - I see this on the Nova-S - to the tune of almost 50% of the frames are
lost.  Same line, and other cards . . . no problem.  When I use the 'Doz
driver to make sure it's not the card . . . it works fine.

Stonewall

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 18:59, Jeremy Hall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anybody use multicast and dvb? Is anybody else seeing something
> similar?
>
> _J
>
> In the new year, Jeremy Hall wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using current dvb-kernel v2.4 branch with a dvb/s ff card.  I am
> > using dvbnet that I found in some apps dir on my hd, no telling how old
> > it is, but I run dvbnet -p pidnum to get a dvb0_0 and another one for
> > dvb0_1.
> >
> > The datarate for dvb0_1 is small, like 64k, so I don't see losing
> > packets, but dvb0_0 is like 7 or 8 megabits per second.
> >
> > I have a program sched_fifo with mlockall (MCL_CURRENT|MCL_FUTURE) that
> > reads a packet and writes it to disk in a single thread.  What is the
> > possability we are losing packets? I'm noticing some sequence gaps, and
> > when the application wants like 97,000 packets of 1400 bytes or so, a few
> > hundred somehow wind up missing.
> >
> > I don't know if it's dropping them a few at a time or in bulk while the
> > disk runs.  I manually watched about 200 go by in sequence before my eyes
> > started glazing over.  I skipped to the end of the warnings file and
> > noticed the missing packets.
> >
> > Is there any way I can make my driver use the budget routines instead of
> > the firmware ones? I'd rather my CPU do the work than the one on the arm
> > if the arm isn't going to work reliably.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > _J

Home | Main Index | Thread Index