[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: Current libavcodec not source compatible withcurrent softmpeg

Hello Peter,

On 15.03.2004 14:25, Peter Urbanec wrote:
I decided to have a go with libsoftmpeg and am working with current CVS versions of most things.
Thanks for participating! 8-)

It would appear that on 20-Oct-2003, version 1.236 of avcodec.h in ffmpeg changed the definition of aspect ratio from "float aspect_ratio" to "AVRational sample_aspect_ratio", presumably to support a more precise representation.

Changing the softmpeg code to use the new definition is non-trivial, since these changes propagate via "resize_callback" and supporting both the old and new representations would probably result in a horribly convoluted mess of ifdef code and conversions leading to a further loss of precision.
Yes, unfortunately.

I would like to know what the development policy for softmpeg is in terms of which versions of libs are chosen. So far I am finding that I can only get softmpeg configured with CVS versions of FusionSound and DirectFB, yet CVS version of ffmpeg won't cut it.
Because of the fact that some of the core developers of DirectFB and FusionSound work next to my office, CVS versions are acceptable because bugs and problems can easily be solved. 8-)

The latest official stable version of ffmpeg 0.4.8 is rather old. Unfortunately, ffmpeg CVS version includes binary incompatible changes (as you noticed).

Should I downgrade my ffmpeg or provide patches for softmpeg to compile with the current CVS version of ffmpeg (breaking source compatibility with previous versions of ffmpeg in process) ?
Currently I tell all users to use the official 0.4.8 version for the sake of simplicity. I'm using libsoftmpeg in a system with cross-dependencies on libavcodec, so breaking compatiblity with 0.4.8 is a no-go.

Are there performance improvements with newer version of ffmpeg?

I'm going to check out the latest ffmpeg CVS and see, if I can isolate the problematic parts, ok?

CU
Michael.