[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: [Unichrome-devel] libsoftmpeg with CLE266 hardware decoding

Hi,

I've fixed the AV sync problem - the code was not properly reporting when it
detected I frames.

However, playback is still occasionally a bit jerky. I'm quite unsatisfied
with the code in d_cle266.c which is rather horrible, and was written in a
bit of a rush. I've now got screeds of debug logs to go through then I'll
tidy up that loop - I suspect it is still not correct. That will teach me
for rushing something nasty out!

I had a look at the Unichrome project stuff - in particular the XvMC mpeg
decoder. I notice that it has based on Andreas' parser as well, only with
writes to the XvMC stuff instead of the hardware. I'm trying to figure out
what the best way of supporting all that might be; at the moment we have:

- libavcodec decoder, writing to DirectFB
- Andreas' decoder, writing to DirectFB/hardware
- Andreas' decoder, writing to XvMC.  (Not in libsoftmpeg - Unichrome CVS).

It seems to me that we could either:

- Use libavcodec for all decoding, but add in callouts for the hardware
decoder/XvMC. (I think this is what MythTV does).
- Modify Andreas' decoder in libsoftmpeg to allow further 'backends' - for
XvMC or for DirectFB/Direct to hardware.
- Make libsoftmpeg DirectFB only.

I'm currently cross posting this to unichrome list and softmpeg list -
apologies. I'm doing this as it appears that there is interest in getting
libsoftmpeg working with the Unichrome project XvMC also, and Michael's
latest code reorganisation has made this a lot easier.

I suspect that discussion of this should continue only on the softmpeg
list - what do you think?

Thanks,

Colin