[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: softmpeg plugin and vesafb

Bryce Nichols wrote:

> Look at src/v_directfb.c and you can see the problem.  In the "init"
> function, if the destination surface is anything besides UYVY, I420, or
> YV12, init returns -1.
>
> Then, in the "prepare"  function, if the destination surface is not of
> type I420, YV12, or UYVY, the function will print "illegal surface format"
> and won't copy the frame to the destination surface.

Vesafb does not support hardware scaling and YUV->RGB conversion, so
it is unusable for fullscreen video.

If your X driver supports Xv a better option than trying to do
everything in software might be to hack a SDL replacement for v_directfb.c.

> I also noticed that the softmpeg_decoder_process_ts_data wants a number of
> bytes divisible by 188.  I'm using a hauppauge pvr350 to hardware encode
> mpeg video, and reading from it simply does not give a number of bytes
> divisible by 188.  So I hacked in something that keeps any spare bytes for
> the next read.  I don't know if the problem I saw here is legitimate or
> not.  Maybe the dvb cards always provide 188 byte chunks when you read
> from them??

MPEG2 transport stream packages have a size of 188 bytes. I don't
know about the pvr350, but I assume it will produce program streams,
not transport streams.

Johannes