[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: softmpeg plugin and vesafb

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> Vesafb does not support hardware scaling and YUV->RGB conversion, so
> it is unusable for fullscreen video.

That doesn't mean it's unusable.  The Xine player evidently does alright
doing the conversions in software.  Yes, you need a faster system to do
this than if you use the hardware acceleration, but it is doable.

> If your X driver supports Xv a better option than trying to do
> everything in software might be to hack a SDL replacement for v_directfb.c.

Maybe that's an option for Meinrad, but it isn't for me.  For my project,
I'm intentionally avoiding X.  I hope that more support for various
graphics chipsets comes soon, so there are more choices for hardware, but
at least the CLE266 appears to be well-supported at this point.

>> MPEG2 transport stream packages have a size of 188 bytes. I don't
>> know about the pvr350, but I assume it will produce program streams,
>> not transport streams.
>>
>Hi,
>
>The pvr250/350 cards are capable of producing transport streams, at
>least according to the ivtv supported stream types.  Stream type 1 is TS.
>
>-Rob

Yes, Rob is correct.  I set stream_type=1 on my card and get out a TS.

--Bryce