[mpeg2] Re: no init for kfir on 2.4.0

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 05:08:52AM -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Frank Rosengart wrote:
> > Paul Holcomb wrote:
> > >  Has anyone has success without having the card active in a Windows
> > >  machine first?
> > No. The card has not to be 'activated' with windows stuff. We have four
> > cards and they have never seen a Windows.

 That's good.

  There are some very strange
> > behaviours in different PCs. Usually it works but I know at least one
> > Athlon box making problems.
>
> Athlon with VIA chipset?

 Yes. KT133

> VIA has got quirks with their pci bridges since early pentium days.
> Probably, the windoze driver does pci configuration fixup on VIA bridges.
>
> You can use http://www.pcitree.de/ on windoze to dump pci tree and
> configuration space data, then compare to linux.

 Hmm, this particular box doesn't have Windows on it.

 It may be a little difficult for me to come up with a box doesn't
 have a VIA that also isn't SMP. Since I've had such good luck with
 the VIA chipset under Linux, its pretty much all I buy, unless I want
 to use Intel SMP.

 Is it likely that a PCI bridge problem would cause the card to think
 that the firmware that it loaded was invalid?

--
Paul Holcomb                               *pholcomb    \@      cpoint  net*
Sr. Network Engineer                       Counterpoint Networking, Inc.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index