[mpeg2] KFir MPEG2 editing

This is a last call for aid...
I am trying to cut sections from an MPEG2 generated by a KFir.
By my understanding, the KFir uses bi-directional frame coding (IBP), as
opposed to progressive frame coding, which makes cutting the files at
clean boundaries very hard.
I need to be able to cut a file into sections, (for burning to cd
progressively), and those sections need to be sequential without loss.

I have written a program to almost completely dissect an MPEG2,
(everything bar decoding the actual pictures), and output a section, but
regardless of whether I set the group of pictures' header's
'broken_link' flag, I still get corrupt starts to the beginning of my
sections.  The closed_gop flag within the mpeg2 is set, meaning the fkir
doesn't encode cleanly cuttable group_of_pictures.

Does anyone know of a way I can "fix" the mpeg2 to have cleanly cuttable
boundaries, or will I need to re-encode the whole file?

_Any_ help on this subject would be great, I refuse to believe there is
no way to do it :)

Also, if anyone knows whether you can get the KFir to encode
differently, shout me pls.

All the best,

MAL
Komcept Solutions Ltd.