[vdr] Re: other MPEG Decoder cards?

hi,

see my comments:

Martin Hoffmann wrote:

> I have a Hollywood+ (same as DXR3), too. And i always thought it has
> somekind of OSD function !? Because for dvd playback, which was the initial
> intention of the card, subtitles must be displayed. I guess it is capable of
> doing somekind of overlay ...

yes, it can display spu-streams, which is (is i understand it) a
substream
to be displayed (i don't know the actual encoding, i think mpeg2).
spu streams have size limitations, have to be muxed in on the fly ...

> However i'm unsure if such a complex osd that vdr has will be possible to
> show !? But there is no other way, unless you decode the mpeg stream, add
> your osd to the pictures and encode it to mpeg again. But this way it eats
> much too much cpu time :-)

see my earlier idea:
if we need a osd, we filter the i-frames out of the mpeg-stream (2 per
s)
decode them, overlay the osd, encode again and display them.
i think this should not be too cpu-intensive AND give almost the same
look&feel as the siemens osd (and should not be too complicated to
program).

> btw: Has the DXR3 output any advantage over the dvbs output ? (except for
> timeshifting with a dxr3 and a dvbs) ? As far as i know it can also only
> show mpeg1/2 - just as the dvbs card !???

it has a ac3-capable digital output and is rather cheap.

--
  markus schorer              fon 089.540.149.0

Home | Main Index | Thread Index