[vdr] Re: Some suggestions...

Hi Stefan!

>> - Due to the information in the ID3-Tag it would
>>   be nice to have more powerfull sort (eg. in a
>>   playlist) and shuffle functions.
>>   For example:
>>   Select a directory, a special playlist or even
>>   all files and play randomly files from one
>>   author, genre or whatever.

> Well, I don't see the point behind. For me this is why we have
> playlists.
> If I want a special set of songs, I create a playlist
> (this doesn't have to be with VDR, you could write whatever
> script you want to generate playlists).

There are a lot of possible combinations for playlists. Too much
I think. Epecially if you have many mp3 files.
For example:
One day I want to hear Rock between '83 and '92, another day
I want to hear Pop of '95.
You see, with only two parameters (date and genre) there are
very much combinations and there are further parameters......
I don't want to save all possible lists, because it would
be hard to find the right one at the right time.
If you add a few mp3 files, you must find and update the appropriate lists.
(Ok it could by done by a script.)

The way I would implement such a feature is something like a filter
working on a list and generate a new one.

For example:
 You start with a comlete mp3 playlist. Then you select a
 filter parameter (eg. genre:Rock).
 With this selection the Software generates a new list (eg. tmp.m3u).
 You can play, delete, merge  and edit this list in common way.
 Or indeed you can progress further filter on it.

I do not mean that such a feature is absolutly necessary, but it would be
a comfortable way to select a special set of files for play once and a way
to generate playlists.

> And most people have
> organised their mp3's in directories like /author/album/*, so if I
> want a special author I play the directory.

That is right. I do it in the same way!

Greetings
Johannes L'huillier

Home | Main Index | Thread Index