[vdr] Re: addign STB-style timeshifting to VDR

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Lauri Pesonen wrote:
> Just a quick note: as everybody can probably see this is most likely going to
> become something extremely complex, complicated and error prone. Not that I'm
> trying to stop anybody from developing things they want to have. I just want
> to say: Keep It Simple!!!!

That's a very good point and I agree with you 100%. I'll be definitely
looking for the simplest way to implement this as possible if I'm going
to implement it. The first step will probably be starting a recording by
pressing a "pause" key while in transfer mode rather than pressing
Menu->Red. Baby steps ;)

> If this is supposed to ever enter the main VDR line, it's gotta be a simple solution.
> I'd hate to end up with a VDR that is potentially unstable just because of
> one extremely complex feature.

Right. And in the end it'll be still up to you whether you'll add it to
the main line or not. I should probably add #defines right from the
start so that a patched VDR can be compiled with or without my code.

> Everybody should think very carefully and ask themselves:
> "do I *really* need all this?".

Actually if I would have to list features that interest me in a digital
video recorder, timeshifting like this would be at the top of the list.
Not necessarily because I need, but I think it's a really cool feature.
I'm not sure how much I would use such a feature for the simple reason
that I have never used such a feature in my life. I know that these
"cool features" are the ones that usually make a mess of otherwise
healthy software, so I have to be very carefull not to compromise the
VDR core, which is excellent.

As I said before: baby steps.

> Just my two cents...

They are highly appreciated.

> Klaus

BR, Lauri

P.S. Hold your horses, I'm still working on getting my rmeote to work ;)

Home | Main Index | Thread Index