[vdr] Re: genindex with LFS (was: Working genindex for VDR (included))

Gregoire Favre wrote:

> > > Thats the next thing i want to change/patch ... :-)
> > > Florian
> >
> > That's going to be a "private" patch then, because I'm not going
> > to do this in the official VDR source...
>
> Why? Every one could simply set is filesize limit in the settings, and
> many of us have "strong" filesystem... (I don't need file bigger the 701
> Mb, but if one day I bought a DVD writer, could be...).

It's not as simple as that. First of all it would break existing
index.vdr files. Second it would force the program to deal with
64 bit values in many places, where most of the time a simple 'int'
would suffice. The index.vdr files would become quite a bit larger
by this, too. And finally: VDR would *still* need to be able to
handle recordings split over several files, in order to be able to
continue on a different disk if the current one runs full.

So, feel free to patch VDR in that way, but don't expect this to go
into the main source.

Klaus