[vdr] Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: hardware

Andreas Schultz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 04 April 2002 11:29, Thomas Valentin wrote:
>
>>my dvd drive is dma enabled (hdparm -d1 /dev/hdd)
>>
>>some dvds work perfectly some work in the beginning and after 1 minute the
>>playback is bucking ...
>>
>>i thought that those dvds that work are not encrypted (vdr is about < 20 %)
>>and the others are encrypted
>>and decss library eats up all the cpu (vdr is 99%)....
>

> That is really not enough information to determin whats going on. As a starter
> you should make sure all involved software components are fairly recent.
> I would recommend to get the dvdinstall.tar.gz that was posted to the ML. This
> contains a libdvdcss version that should definetly work.
> The load you see, could be decss trying to crack a specific track key. There
> are dvd's where this just doesn't work with some versions of the lib.
>
> Andreas

Generally there are 3 possible reasons:

1. DMA/IDE - problems with the mainboard (e.g. VIA686B Southbridges, ...
- 	try to get patches)
2. DMA - problems with the DVD-Drive (e.g. Afree drives, which claim to
support UDMA33 but even make trouble with 440BX-chipsets)
3. key problems of the drives (had trouble with an Afree, where
libdvdcss/read seemed to retrieve all keys, but wasn't able to 			open the
next VOB and some breaks on a 1100 Celeron. No problem 		with a Pioneer.

I'd suggest you to change drives, cable and mainboard against each other
to find the problems (and try hdparm with each combination, Andreas
Schultz's special version of libdvdcss is also recommended, but we don't
know yet if it's completely legal. But on from december watching DVD on
Linux will be a crime in Germany).

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index