[vdr] Re: font

Carsten Koch wrote:

>>Except for the flicker problem, the OSD has no limitations.
>

> I take that back.
> What I meant was: there are no font size limitations imposed
> by the OSD, as vdr generates the characters itself and the
> OSD does not even know it displays text.
>
> As far as the OSD limitations go, there are many, including
> the fact that OSD requests sometimes cause the firmware to
> crash. At least on my system, this happens frequently:
>
> Apr  2 00:52:56 vdr kernel: dvb0: ARM crashed!
> Apr  2 02:00:02 vdr kernel: dvb0: ARM crashed!
> Apr  4 21:39:25 vdr kernel: dvb0: ARM crashed!
>

>>From what we know today, using the card's OSD was really a
> bad idea. I guess that is the reason why new Hauppauge cards
> no longer have an OSD. Sooner or later it will no longer be
> possible to buy a card that supports the OSD, so it will no
> longer be possible to build a VDR system from new components.
>
> Also, a VDR system containing two Nova cards and one graphics
> card with a TV-out will be both cheaper and have more features
> than a VDR system containing one full DVB-S card and one graphics
> card without a TV-out.
>
> Klaus, are there any plans in the pipeline to support a VDR
> system containing two Nova cards and one graphics card with
> a TV-out?
>
> Carsten.

What about using MPlayer as output-system?

MPlayer has OSD-functions included, so the VDR OSD has only to be
rewritten to use to MPlayer OSD-function, and the MPEG is decoded by
MPlayer.

Arpi works to include even TS into MPlayer-demuxer, so MPlayer could
become the main graphics-engine for VDR! As for MPlayer also has a DVB
output-function ( -vo mpegpes ) the conventional DVB-output could be
used furthermore by specifying the mplayer-output-type in setup.conf.

BTW: MPlayer has a -slave function!

And we could record and watch in nearly any format and codec!

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index