[vdr] Re: Feature suggestion

Am 05.04.2002 09:54:10, schrieb Alessio Sangalli <alesan@manoweb.com>:

>> Why it will not work? Shouldn't it be possible to send the mpg2 stream
>> of a second (third, ...) card as a pip to the first card?

I believe you haven't understood how MPEG(2)-(de)compression works.
You just can not 'simply' mix two MPEG-streams and get a proper result.

>I agree with you Ulrich. The software should take care to build an mpeg2
>stream with the 'main' stream and a little one in the corner; a very
>similar thing is done with divx replay. Here we don't even have the
>decompression from another codec.

It is anything but 'very similar', the divx-replay does only a MPEG1-encoding,
what you want would require: decoding of the two MPEG2-streams,
rescaling of one stream, mixing and finally encoding in MPEG2, which needs
MUCH more CPU-power than the MPEG1-encoding from the divx-stuff.

Greetings,  Marcus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index