[vdr] Re: font

Marcus Kuba wrote:

> You forget one (IMHO very important) thing: output quality. There may
> be lots of graphic-cards with TV-Out, but I've seen none that comes
> even close to the TV-Out-quality of the DVB-S, at  least not under
> those cheap ones you talk about.

Why would that be?
Isn't the DVB-s using exactly the same chip for its
video output that is used in many graphics cards?

Do you have objective proof (S/N measurements, signal
bandwidth, etc.) or is it just your subjective feeling
that the DVB-S creates a better signal than all graphics
cards with TV-Out that you have seen?

How many current-generation graphics cards with TV-Out
have you tested?

I am just curious and I am asking all these questions
in all honesty. I do agree that the TV-Out-quality of
the DVB-S is nice, I just doubt that many current-generation
graphics cards will be worse. Remember: we are talking
about new and future VDR systems, so I do not care about
the TV-Out-quality of my old Erazor II card.

> >Also, at least time shifting will be a lot cheaper if done
> >via the graphics card's TV-out that costs you between 0 and 20
> >Euro, instead of using a 300 Euro Nexus for that.
>
> Maybe... but a two-card-system has more advantages than that.

The only other advantage being that you can record two things
at the same time, which could already be done with a Nova now
as long as both recordings are from the same transponder.
Of course, with a two-Nova-card-system and TV-out via the
graphics card you can do all that and still it will be a
lot cheaper than a system with one Nova, one DVB-S and a
graphics card without TV-out. Also, there are a lot of
applications that support TV-out via the graphics card and
almost none of them support TV-out via the DVB-s. Also,
the only one I know that does (mplayer) requires a lot of
CPU power for that which is somewhat contradicting to the
fact that the main reason for having a hardware MPEG
encoder is that you can get by with a 150 MHz CPU...

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index