[vdr] Re: Kernel-Patch to make VDR undisturbable

Andreas Schultz (aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de) schrieb:
> > Do you see a possibility in userspace to make sure that VDR runs
> > undisturbed? I do not. IMHO a kernel modification is unavoidable.
>
> yep, SCHED_FIFO/SCHED_RR ;-)

I looked further into the kernel-souces, and I agree with you, that it is
possible.

VDR was never designed to be realtime scheduled, so you will need a completly
different design.
Doing the nessecary changes therefor will be close as much work as a complete
rewrite of the VDR code.
It must be _guaranted_ that neither VDR nor the DVB-driver will ever lock
other processes out under any circumstances. Thats close to impossible with a
complex programm! (but quiet easy using my kernel patch (which lets VDR
behave somewhat similar to a realtime process without dangers))

Yes, a rewrite of VDR for rt-scheduling would be the cleanest solution, but
to stay realistic I do not think anybody is willing to do that work.

Matthias.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index