[vdr] Re: instant recording - timer?

Stefaan Coddé wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm new to VDR an recorded Star Treks episode 1 (Pro7) with the instant
> recording feature but what a surprise to see that only 1hour 59 minutes
> has been recorded.  I wonder why instant recording is timed.
>
> You could say to me ...RTFM but it would be obvious to set no time limit
> at all on instant recording as default ...for instance...let the harddisk size
> be the limitation and if the user want's to limit the time, then to change a
> setting. If a user starts instant recording then he (or she) can stop the
> recording usual..no?
>
> btw.. it would be handy to be able to enable the timed end of the recording
> during the recording if the user expects not to stop recording manually.

As Emil already stated in his reply, if the instant recording were not
timed, you might lose some of your existing recordings (since VDR tries
to delete old recordings to make room for new ones). But you also might lose
new timed recordings! Imagine an instant recording that is not timed and thus
runs "forever" (i.e. until the disk runs full). Depending on your disk size
this may take 10, 20 hours, maybe even several days! So if you forget to
set an end time, other timers that would like to record during that time
might not be able to do so (depending on the number of DVB cards in your
system).

At the time 2 hours appeared to be a useful default for an instant recording.
However, I guess I didn't think of channels like Pro7, where there's almost
as much commercials as raw movie. Perhaps it would be best to set that value
to 3 hours - or make it user definable, since probably the next posting will
say "no, make that 2.5 hours"...

You can always acces all your timers through the "Timers" menu and adjust
the times to your liking - even if a timer is currently recording.

Klaus