[vdr] Re: vdr - some general questions

Tobias Meyer-Janson wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de>  wrote:

> Nobody any idea to this?
> Now I realized that the 1s are not constant. So for configuring a
> cutting I do not know how much ofset I have to add at last to enable
> watching the cutted recording upto the end.

I'm not sure whether the driver plays all the data sent if the data stream
ends at some point. This might be the same problem as with the still pictures.
Maybe we need to repeat the last frame several times until the buffers are
flushed.

> > Actually they are removed when there is no other activity (like recording
> > or user activity).
>
> Hmm, I expected this but in my case it seems that vdr waits until the
> space is needed. I think I have to watch at this, perhaps in the past
> when I tested it there was not enough idle.

Take a look into recording.c, function RemoveDeletedRecordings() to see how and when
VDR actually removes files. One condition is that the recording needs to be older
than 1 hour before it is deleted. These things are no "black magic", but just some
thing I did to attempt that an actual file removal is done when the system is
idle.

> > This is to minimize the risk of interfering with a
> > recordings disk activity.
>
> Good point.
>
> > If a recording is going on and the system is runnign out of free disk space,
> > deleted files are removed even during recording to make room for the new
> > recording.
>
> Should I expect problems concerning the disk speed if there are 1 or 2
> recordings and one removing operation?
> (Or 1-2 recordings & 1 cutting so that than the source can be deleted
> and removed.)

That depends mainly on the performance of your disk. Removing a file while
recording may or may not interfere with the recording. I'm afraid that's
all I can say.

Klaus