[vdr] Re: PVR users are thieves

Andreas Roedl wrote:
> It was bound to happen - 2600.com is reporting that Turner Broadcasting CEO
> Jamie Kellner is calling PVR users thieves. When asked why personal video
> recorders are bad for the industry, Keller says 'Because of the ad skips....
> It's theft.

...and if I use scissors, cut out an article from my free,
ad-financed regional paper, and give that article to a friend,
it's also theft? ;-)
Gee, I have in fact done that in the past.
Am I a thief now?

Still, let's be clear that this is a complex and important subject.
Of course, I love vdr's capability to FF past the commercial breaks.
OTOH, reality is that the commercial breaks pay for the broadcast.
So, as soon as everyone uses vdr and noone watches the
commercial breaks any more, the industry will either have
to make PVR illegal or find other means to get paid for
the broadcast.
In that respect, we still are not thieves, but maybe parasites. ;-)

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index