[vdr] Re: What about an passive mode of VDR?

Now let's be serious.

Our brain can only focus on *ONE*  video image and that is even not correct.
Our eyes don't see sharp into the edges so we have to focus  and focus alot
if screensize
get's bigger. If You think that you can see more: not possible ..at least,
then you miss many details.

Are the other 3 cards used for recording? Isn't one extra card enough?
now :

> Well powering off is not really an option to all of us, like me. However
> we might implement several additional levels of power savings.
> How about lowering the voltages used for the LNB. Maybe we can save some
> additonal energy back then, even when we watch TV.

A Universal LNB is a strange thing. The power requirments are not sooo
generous
and the first thing the voltage controller will do is rizing the current and
if you turn the voltage
too low, then it doesn't do anything. And for those who use a disec
controller that get's it's power
thry the same cable... ouch.
 In fact: you might forget that there's still a coax cable used between LNB
and receiver.
Most receivers have an option to add a volt to the LNB power cause of losses
in the cable..depending on their length.

Conclusion : lowering power is not a good idea. It will work for some, not
for others.

> I've just gotten an inspiration. Has anybody ever tried if the DVB card
> still gets warm when you disconnect the shield? (Mine's currently
> defective). If it doesn't, we might actually build our own LNB power
> supply. Maybe it could be a lot more efficient than the current one.

Less warm since the tuner doesn't has to pass the power thru the connector.
but watch out... if you just strip the shield away then that doesn't mean
that there's
no signal at all.  If the LNB get's the shield from somewhere else eg..
grounded
dish then you still will have signal.
The golden rule to disconnect is to disconnect the positive first :-)

If people intend to use VDR as media terminal....let's give the computer
air.
Use a desktop case and sure no tower, drill many ventilation holes in the
top cover.
Drill them above the hot spots in the computer.. example, the DVBs tuner.
Mount a heatsink on the tuner to help spreading the hot air more.
Folks : this is nothing new: look at tuners, amplifiers, sat set top
boxes...

oh well, that just what i wanted to say.

Stefaan

Home | Main Index | Thread Index