[vdr] Re: Newbie Q: anything else than Suse?

> If they agree with copying ISOs they could put them also on their FTP
> Server
> as the normal FTP distribution (or via NFS). So, what do you think why
> they
> don't provide the ISOs via internet?
>
> Hey, don't think that the life is free!
>
> cheers
> Manfred

Possible reasons:
1) It wouldn't make good business sense.  But that in and of itself does
not make it illegal.
2) The ISOs include commercial software that cannot be copied.  Is the
commercial software on separate discs from the main install CDs?  If so,
copying the ISOs that don't include commercial software, for example
only discs 1-2 and not 3-4 (I don't know how they number their discs),
would be legal.

They obviously don't distribute ISOs over FTP because they can't make
money from it.  This is their choice but Red Hat doesn't feel the need
to do it.

Simon

Home | Main Index | Thread Index