[vdr] Re: Q: anything else than Suse?

Hi,

well, Open Source does not necessarely mean that you are allowed to copy
everything. E.g. Theo de Raadt does not allow copies of the OpenBSD ISO
CDs, which he's selling through various channels, to be freely distributed
- he copyrighted the layout. Nevertheless you can do FTP and NFS installs
of OpenBSD.

Now, in this case it doesn't seem to be that way - at least the link does
not support any copyright violations if you copy a SuSE CD.

Maybe that's GPL vs. BSD license.

Bernd

At 00:35 07.05.2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello!
>
>Am Montag, 6. Mai 2002 23:34 schrieb Manfred Schmidt-Voigt:
> > I am not speaking for SUSE, but again, it is a comercial company and they
> > want to sell their products. And one of their channels to sell the
> > distribution is the ISO file on CD.
> >
> > If they agree with copying ISOs they could put them also on their FTP
> > Server as the normal FTP distribution (or via NFS). So, what do you think
> > why they don't provide the ISOs via internet?
> >
> > Hey, don't think that the life is free!
>
>Sorry, but this is bullsh*t! Of course it is allowed to copy and share the
>ISO
>images of a SuSE distribution! Make up your mind and try to understand the
>Open-Source philosophy!
>

>Andi
>(which has been working for one of the biggest Linux company)
>
>--
>Web:   http://www.flood-net.de/
>Mail:  flood@flood-net.de
>Phone: +49-(0)-30-680577-44
>
>Windows sucks, Linux rules :-)              http://srom.zgp.org/
>Watch more TV! http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/software.htm
>Who needs DivX?                          telnet blinkenlights.nl

Home | Main Index | Thread Index