[vdr] Re: What about subtitles?

> VDR does not handle subtitles in any way. I've been looking into how to
> implement subtitling, but I haven't yet had enough time nor
> understanding to start anything. I'd be happy to help someone else in
> implementing this though...
>
> What VDR should do is:
>
>   * parse PMT after channel switch
>   * add filter for subtitle stream PID (parsed from the PMT)
>   * draw subtitles as OSD windows on top of the picture

The other issue is that there are two totally different implementations of
subtitling. In satellite transmissions subtitles are carried within teletext
data in a single teletext page. This is defined on ETS 300 706. Basically
all you need is little patched teletext decoder to display subtitles on OSD
and saving and replaying teletext data. This method is re-implementation of
subtitling
done in analog receivers.

The more complicated subtitling is the one used in DVB-T at least in
Finland. This one is defined in ETS 300 743 and here subtitles can be either
text or bitmaps.

Perhaps we should joint out forces to implement subtitling in vdr - the
first one is simple and quickly done, but the latter is harder and I do not
know if it is used in anywhere else besides Finland.

pekkis

Home | Main Index | Thread Index