[vdr] Re: AW: Re: My power/noise/heat saving ideas

Guido Fiala wrote:

> Well, we had this before - just one new thing - you don't have to place the
> pump inside the casing (given long enough hoses).
> Maybe there are some more fluids that can be used beside water, ok oil could
> make a big mess, but soemthing that vaporizes without traces and is not

a friend of mine uses a water based cooler he built together with the
father of his gf in a afternoon they had nothing to do; it's absolutely
quiet and keeps his Athlon 1800+ at 30 degrees. He uses a 25 liters can
with an immerged (?) acquarium-pump.

I use the hdd 'envelopes' from www.quietpc.com; from the same website I
ordered a quiet PSU cpu cooler. The problem is that I have also put a
fan to keep the DVB card fresh, but this vibrates making an hearable sound!!

However, without this fan, you cannot hear the system running by day; by
night, perhaps because it's all more than a year old => so a bit dirty,
I can still hear the system, but also the noise of the television itself
(ja, probably from the transformer).

Important: the hdd envelope makes the ROTATIONAL noise of the hdd
extremely quiet. For the SEEK-noise it's needed to act with the
utilities from the hdd manufactorer (I've set my ibm hdd so I can't
absolutely hear seek time).

bye
as

Home | Main Index | Thread Index