[vdr] Re: What about an passive mode of VDR?

Tobias Meyer-Janson wrote:
> Did I understand it right?
> If I configure my LinuxVDR-System to power up and down automatically
> before/after recordings, it would also power up and down the LNB and so
> reduce its lifetime?
> I'm wondering if this is for sure or a controverse discussion is still
> going on.
>
> At the moment I plan to configure my system for energy-saving reasons to
> power off if it is going not to be used for some hours. So I expect it
> to power up and down once or twice daily. If I had a normal digital
> receiver, I think I would power it up and down much more often this,
> wouldn't that affect the LNB (adversely)?

It will affect the lifetime. But LNBs should be build for that
circumstances as they also have to deal with any weather - cool or hot.
But it depends on the quality of a LNB. Usually 10 years lifetime
shouldn't be a problem.
But circumstances like powering up and down every 3 minutes wouldn't be
good (no good choice for an EPG-scan in that way).

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index