[vdr] Re: Multiple crashes while recording

On Tue, 28 May 2002 18:38:12 +0200, Klaus Schmidinger
<Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:

> Norman Beck wrote:
> >
> > It seems that each time a new file is created while recording (on startup and everytime when the current file has grown up to MaxVideoFileSize) vdr crashes. The log file does not show any reason - just that vdr has crashed... Although I used to run vdr by init it is not very amusing ;-)
> >
> > As I read in this mailing list some kinds of crashes occur due to dvb-driver problems but the coherence mentioned above is conspicuous to some extend.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Are you really sure that VDR actually "crashes" (with a segmentation fault or
> something alike), or does it do an "emergency exit" due to some timeout?
> Can you post the message log lines around such a restart?

Klaus, I have removed this emergency exit and just terminate the thread
because such a *crash* always happens when a recording is running or
transfer mode is used and the channel ends the transmission. You can try
this on the Kinderkanal at 19:00. I have found out that most of the
*crashes* are caused by this emergency exits, but I see no reason to do
a emergency exit just when a channel doesn't transmit. I also had a
similar problem with the EPG scanner and channels in the channels.conf
which caused the message "cannot tune to". After I removed all this
channels the system was much more stable.

The firmware is stable enough so it seems not to be necessary to restart
vdr in this cases. As I have a 4-card system it is always annoying when
running recordings were interrupted by this. May be you should rethink
the concept of emergency exits.

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index