[vdr] Re: Video over internet

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 20:55, Gernot A. Weber wrote:
> > I do not run videolan. Videolan is MPEG2, that's HQ video, I'm talking
> > about reasonable bandwidth video, and that can be done with Cisco's
> > mp4live package (or however that's called). Or Realplayer and maybe
> > ffmpeg. But realplayer is not open-source.
> > The problem is, Videolan probably just forwards the video stream. That
> > means you have to have realiable 4Mbits/sec which only some universities
> > have.

Tools like realproducer and (I assume) mp4live encode video from the
/dev/video V4L device.  You will also need to loop the audio into a
soundcard.

> Ah, I see. But my DVB-machine is only a PII-300. Do you think it's fast
> enough to code the MPEG2 streams to another format?

I've tried this on my own Pentium 300MHz, and I didn't manage to get a
satisfactory quality out of it using realproducer.  However, it does work -
if you set the quality low enough.

You need one machine to run the Real encoder on, and another machine on the
same LAN to run the realserver on.

I would be interested to hear people's experience with mp4live.

Dave.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index