[vdr] Re: Video over internet

Dave Chapman schrieb:

> On Wednesday 29 May 2002 20:55, Gernot A. Weber wrote:
> > > I do not run videolan. Videolan is MPEG2, that's HQ video, I'm talking
> > > about reasonable bandwidth video, and that can be done with Cisco's
> > > mp4live package (or however that's called). Or Realplayer and maybe
> > > ffmpeg. But realplayer is not open-source.
> > > The problem is, Videolan probably just forwards the video stream. That
> > > means you have to have realiable 4Mbits/sec which only some universities
> > > have.
>
> Tools like realproducer and (I assume) mp4live encode video from the
> /dev/video V4L device.  You will also need to loop the audio into a
> soundcard.

True, but I think that cable comes with the card, and the degradiation
in quality is acceptable.

> > Ah, I see. But my DVB-machine is only a PII-300. Do you think it's fast
> > enough to code the MPEG2 streams to another format?
>
> I've tried this on my own Pentium 300MHz, and I didn't manage to get a
> satisfactory quality out of it using realproducer.  However, it does work -
> if you set the quality low enough.

And for internet transmissions you don'T really have hight bandwith so
you need low quality.

> You need one machine to run the Real encoder on, and another machine on the
> same LAN to run the realserver on.

Well I've tried that, it worked on LAN, but access from outside was
impossible.

> I would be interested to hear people's experience with mp4live.

I ran both the client as well as the server on the same machine. Worked
really well, a _lot_ less lag than with Real. Be sure to turn the
quality to 384x288 since lower resolutions give worse quality at the
same bitrate.

> Dave.

Servus
  Casandro