[vdr] Re: VDR on PowerPC (was VDR Mac OSX port?)

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:56:11PM +0200, Daniel Schneider wrote:

> Because OS X is the best Unix on the planet... ;-) (or will be, when
> some flaws are fixed, at least it's the best usable Unix for people
> who don't want to get deep into system stuff).

I disagree, Nextstep was better, OSX has a nice interface, but is really
hard to deal with in comparaison with other UNIXes, and for every day no
knowing at all, a modern linux distro is easyer to install and configure
(we have about 30 OSX here at work... guess what, the server is under
linux also for OSx clients...).

> But anyway, is it possible to compile the DVB drivers and VDR for
> PowerPC CPUs on a Mac Linux distribution? Has someone done this
> before?

Certainly, there were patch sent to the mailing list and I think there
are in... VDR seems also to work (haven't tested it myself has I don't
have a DVB-s in any mac...).

> This would only be interesting for people having older Mac's standing
> around. The advantage of an Mac OS X port of VDR/DVB drivers would be
> the easier to use and configure system (at least for non-Unix/Linux
> professionals), also I would like to be able to watch DVB TV channels
> in a window on the desktop while working ;-).

If you have an older mac, you could simply forget OSX: it will be much
too slow (they have removed the postcript rendering from Nextstep, but
the system is really to be considered beta software regarding power
need), and I think it would be a lots of hard work to port the driver
from linux to OSX... it would be much easyer to look for BSD drivers and
port them to OSX I think... at home I have a window in the desktop and I
can work meanwhile, why would it be a problem?

I love the nice (but so slow) OSX interface (I still use fvwm2...) but I
won't do any work for it...

PS: mplayer exist for OSX, which let you play quiete all movies...

Have a nice day,

	Grégoire
http://ulima.unil.ch/greg ICQ:16624071 mailto:greg@ulima.unil.ch

Home | Main Index | Thread Index