[vdr] Re: once again: standby mode

Hi Johannes!

From: Johannes Schoeller <schoeller@gmx.at>

>that means, that, if there is some kind of power save mode we can
>put the card in when it.s no used, we can save energy, but what.s
>(for me) much more important -> cool that damn thing a bit down !
>
>to get me right: the machine was still on power , but i guess the
>mpeg2 decoder and/or tuner stopped working. so it.s no true standby
>mode - just something like that. if we could see how to disable
>these two parts on the card - GREAT !!

If i remember right, we thought about unloading the DVB-card driver to stop
the ARM application. I like the idea to cool down the cards this way,
because there will be no additional noise from a fan and maybe the lifefime
of the cards will be extended.

However, I for myself don't need this strategy, because i use my box for VDR
exclusively, and therefore can power down it completely while not whatching
or recording.

Anyway, I have done some power measurements with my box. Maybe they're
helpful:
It's a two DVB-s card System (one Rev.1.3, the other Rev.2.1) with only one
wire to the LNB. I've measured the total power dissipation of the whole box
(true-RMS at the AC-Line).

- Machine up and running, DVB unloaded, VDR not running: 47,7W
- only DVB driver loaded: 54W
- additionally VDR started, whatching TV using transfer mode: 57..59W
- doing the timeshift-thing: 59..60W

So, by unloading the driver while not whatching/recording, you should be
able to save approx. 5 Watts per DVB-Card. Sounds not much, but even 5 Watts
can produce a lot of heat.

Greetings,
Christian

Home | Main Index | Thread Index